Ethan was due four days ago, but was taking his time. Luckily I was able to stay pretty patient with sewing projects and nesting. Saturday I was having a lot of contractions, but very sporadic and nothing progressive or consistent until 10:30 pm. They started coming every 12 mins. So I went to bed to get some sleep inbetween the contractions. They stayed over 10 mins apart most of the night. Around 5 am they were getting very uncomfortable, but not to bad. I layed back down.
At 6:20 I figured I needed Matt's help to get through some more painful ones. He helped me breath through a couple while I called the Midwife. They were just starting to get under 7 mins apart so she said well I guess you could head in and your about 30 mins from the hospital. And I was GBS possitive and needed to get antibiotics in 4hrs before delivering. As I got up and got ready to leave they quickly sped up, within 15 mins they were 3 mins apart or something. We started rushing to get out the door! But right before we got to the door my water broke... coming with it contrations right on top of another!!
From here it's kind of a rushed blurr! Matt kept asking me if I wanted to go to the hospital. My mom kept saying "No, she can't she's going to have the baby!" My dad was the most stressed and was like you need to leave right now! As everyone was asking me what I wanted to do I was sitting down on the bed and having contrations right after another. They told me I was repeating over and over, " This isn't funny, this isn't funny!" and " I don't know what I want to do." (I guess in my mind I knew I wasn't going anywhere, I was getting the urge to push, but I really really didn't want to deliver at home!)
So within a couple of minutes they had 911 on the phone and a dispatcher telling Matt what to do. I remember my dad running around looking for a shoe lace to tie the cord off with!!! I was trying not to push for as long as I could, but didn't last long, that urge is pretty intense! So Matt looked down and called out the baby is crowning. The dispatcher was giving him instructions, but it was a little intense! Matt did an amazing job and quickly delivered Ethan! He layed him on my tummy and was wiping him clean when the first parametic walked in. Wow!! So from the time I called my Midwife to the time Ethan was born was less 40 mins.!
For those who know me, know that I've had all my babies natually. This was a whole new experice. Easier in some ways, crazier in others, and definetely more stress full for Matt!! Looking back we figured the time we should have been leaving was like 3 am. But at that point my contrations were 10 mins apart still and I was managing them just fine on my own, without Matt even having to breath with me. This labor was so different for me; not being on pitocin was SO much less intense that I didn't think I was progessing as fast as I obviousely was. My labors are fast once I get to a certain point, but I had no idea that I had reached that so early and with such endurable contrations. I never had contrations that were as intense as the last 2 hrs of contrations of my last deliveries. I never knew it was so much easier not being induced, although I've heard it!!!
When Isaac came to visit us at the hospital he said, "Ethan good job" and started clapping! He is excited, but a little dazed!
Kate is thrilled and already a very helpful big sister!
We are all happy and healthy!
20 comments:
I'm SO happy that I am the first one to leave a comment. Kelly, when I read your post, I totally started to cry. I am really glad that everything went well. That is an unbelievable story! Congratulations to you, Matt, Kate and Isaac. I am just thrilled for you all. Enjoy every minute.
Oh goodness!....SO crazy...but CONGRATS!
Holy Moly! That is insane! What a great job Matt. Congrats.
Wow!! what an experience. Congratulations on the baby and for being so brave.I am glad to know that both you and the baby are doing good. Great job by your husband!!
Wow, Kelly! Congratulations!
I'm glad you are all doing well!
I found non-induction so much easier too.
I'm So glad you weren't home alone with Kate and Issac.
That is SO Cool! We were so excited when we got your text when we were at church! It was fun to read the whole story. Can't wait to come and see you all and hear about it in person! Congratulations. I really think that is awesome that Matt got to deliver his baby! Good job Kelly! I would have been going crazy!!
What an amazing story ... I am so happy that both you and baby are doing well! Congratulations!
What a crazy story. Congratulations to your growing family. Your kids are adorable - but I'm sure you know that.
You are my hero. Well done!
Congratulations Masners!!! What a fun/crazy story. Usually the kids that come in with a bang keep you hopping, so BEWARE! I think Ethan is going to be a firecracker... Lots of love from the Hawker's!
What a fabulous story! I can't imagine having a baby that fast or naturally, I'm not that lucky. I enjoy reading all of the updates on your family on your blog. Thanks for keeping in touch.
Congratulations! That is a crazy story. I am so glad that everything went well.
Way to go Kelly and Matt. Doug and I are so impressed. Natural delivery can be that fast--seems the body works more in sync. Now you know. Hey, just figure that is the way it was suppose to happen all along--for you guys to have the chance of delivering right there in your home, and welcoming Ethan to your family. Must have been a wonderful, spiritual experience in spite of the hectic, frenzy of it all. Love Doug and Ilean
Oh MY GOSH KELLY!!! What a story! Something Ethan will be telling all of his buddies in the future, I'm sure. Way to go Matt! Maybe you can deliver them all at home now since you have a pro right there on hand! ha..ha..In anycase...CONGRATS to you guys! Welcome little Ethan!
Love, THe James fam
Oh wow Kelly, wow, wow. You go girl! That's so crazy! (sigh) I'm your biggest fan. =) Way to go Matt! Whatever you do, just don't get into a discussion with Luke on delivering. Luke only has experience with delivering cows and I certainly don't want to hear the comparison. =)
Congrats, he is beautiful.
He is just darling! I love that Isaac clapped!! Wow Matt, what an experience! Conrats- what a crazy story!!!!!!
I heard the news. This is so amazing! Congratulations! Well done...and high fives to Matt!
Congratulations! That's pretty crazy, but I'm glad you and Ethan are healthy and okay.
That is crazy! And you are amazing! You'll have to let me know when you're feeling up for visitors so that I can stop in. I mean we do live only five minutes apart! :) Love ya!.......ames
Can I just say WOW! and Congratulations! You are amazing! We had to do the anti biotic with Leah too. I also have GBS She actually got sick before she was delivered and had to stay in the NICU. It it a little scary having the tubes in their tiny little heads. I am so glad that everything went so well. And that every one is healthy. Congratulations again. You have a beautiful family!
Post a Comment